May 17, 2013

A ginger at Hongik university.

5 long and tiring hours later I arrived in Seoul at 9 pm last night.  Moeg and hungry  and overtired . Now any normal  person who is about to embark on three day music festival would probably have a quiet night in at the guesthouse and save their energy for what is to come. That really was my intention but being a victim of the dreaded FOMO ( fear of missing out )  my party animal side got the better of me. It looked  like it was  going to be another lone ranging mission for La. This situation of me venturing out on my own has  become a common trend and quiet frankly I love it . Most of you are probably shaking your heads at this point and  thinking "what a complete loser" and ya you're right . However the people in Korea are so friendly and fascinated by the fact I come from South Africa ,  I have yet to have a night out where I actually feel like im alone.  So off I ventured into Hongdae looking for a party. Trying to keep in mind that I actually couldn't spend a lot as I have a three day festival I need to fund was rather challenging.  I had been wondering around for a good while until I found where I needed to be. None other than the actual Hongnik University Campus. I heard some sweet beats coming from the campus and students rushing in and out of the campus area. As always FOMO got the better of me and so I went to check it out. What a great life choice I made. A  queue of students that went on for metres  all anxiously waiting to get into this electronic dome of happiness.

Now I have never been one for queues and there was no chance I was going to stand in an hour long queue considering I had given myself a 2 am curfew ( pfft so much for that) .
Being a foreigner in Korea most definately has its advantages. Looking all " cute " in my oversized bow I decided to use this to my advantage and do my best attempt at flirting and see if it would boost me a few spots  in the line. Thanks to some very sweet youngsters they allowed me to stand with me. 5 minutes later and I was in electronic heaven. I was certain there would be some other foreigners as it was such a massive party .Looked around to see if I could find any traces of blonde , light brown or red hair. As it would turn  I was the only one. The ginger and a couple of hundred Korean students .  It didn't take long before I got the usual stares , some people giggling and lots of  youngsters giving me the 24 questions. " Where you from "  I reply " Namagong" eyes blanky stare at me .  I try again  " Nam-a-gONG.  "   " oooooooh" Namagong! "  Eish.  All in all it was  a grand night making new friends  with locals and embracing being the only waygook at the jol!

No comments:

Post a Comment