Sep 29, 2013

Speech contests -For better or for worse

Heart pounding , sweaty palms, frantically trying to remember a 2minute speech off by heart  , 30 pairs of eyes looking at you and a teacher sitting ready to grade you with her assement sheet . Public speaking and class orals . Possibly one of the scariest aspects that a student ever has to face at school. I know for me it was . Now Imagine having to do this  exact same speech in a foreign langauge. A language that you have only been learning for a few years.....

English speech contests   happen throughout  Korea and throughout the year. They usually start at elementary level and go right up to high school. The idea behind them is to give students an oppurtunity to  speak english. The contests usually have a selection of topics that the students can choose from and they then base their speech around that topic. The only rule , you need to memorise the speech off by heart.

When I first came to hear about these contests I was impressed and thought what a wonderful way it is  to encourage the korean students to learn english. However in the past two weeks my perception has changed .

Two weeks  ago  we held  a speech contest at school  in order  to prepare the girls for the real contest which would be held the following week.  I was asked to judge the competition which  I willing agreed  to do. However i was  completely unaware of  what sort of emotional impact it would have on me.

For those of you are are unaware of the korean education system and korean culture  the amount of pressure placed on students to achieve academically and to speak english is huge. What is even more worrying is the amount of pressure that the students place on themselves and it was more evident than ever when I judged the speaking contest.

'I have a dream ' is how her speech began. However this student was so nervous she suddenly froze and couldnt remember the next line. Dead silent for  2minutes.   Unable to deal with the  uncomfortable silence  I asked her what her dream was in her heart and not what she had written down for the speech , hoping that this would make it easier to  for her to speak.  However she was so consumed  by her nerves that she was still unable to verbalise her dream . As the tears started to roll down her cheek i was unable to keep it together and my emotions got the better of me. I went outside with her as I could see she was not coping with the situation and was in need  of a  hug. Ive never felt somebody hug me so tightly in my life. This poor darling sobbed on me. I could feel her sense of relief. Whilst we were outside Io asked her again 'what is your dream '  to that she replied  'To be a Doctor in  Africa ' 

16 years old and this little darling wants to change the world. The speeches that followed  from the other students were nothing but inspiring . From wanting to cure cancer  and flying aeroplanes to finding ways  to stop global warming. These are the dreams of my 16 year old students . Ask a 16 year old  South African what yhey want to do with their life and I doubt you will get the same answer.

Yesterday  I went to watch my students at  the official speaking competition. Once again I could sense their fear . Having flashbacks of the incident  from the school contest I prayed that my girls would be ok and not have to face the embarrasment of forgetting their lines.

Although I am incredibly proud  of my students for  making it to the finals that was not  what I was worried about . What worries me is the message we are sending to these children and  the long term impact that such events can have on a student . What if one of my studentshad  failed the contest yesterday? Not only  are we telling them that their english ability is not good enough  but we  are also indirectly telling them that they will never achieve their dream and that their opinions are irrelevant as they are unable to verbalise them correctly.

For the students who do not pass the contests one can imagine that they  perceive themselves as  failures  and a  failure  at learning the english langauge . So when the next  opportunity arises for them to share their hopes , dreams  and opinions they  are reminded of the time when they were told that their english speaking  ability is not good enough and so the chances of them expressing their dreams and opinions with us again are unlikely. 

What kind of pereperception of the english langauge are we creating for our students ?  I want my students to learn to love the english langauge . I want them to be able to express their dreams and views of the world  with confidence without having to worry about someone grading them for it .   But how can we possibly expect someone to engage and love something when it instils nothing but fear ?

These are thoughts and questions that I have found myself struggling with   over  the past few months . This topic goes way beyond a speech contest and I feel that if we truly want to help Korea to embrace the english langauge then the entire system needs to change.

I believe that  as foreign teachers we have  the ability to help change the system. Can we change it completely ? Unlikely  , but for those short 40minutes that we see each a class we have the power to  turn that dry boring english into something fun. So I challenge myself and all the other teachers out there . Let us help our students to see that english is not something to be feared   but something that will place  them at a  huge advantage and help them to  achieve their dreams in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment