Sep 18, 2013

Chuseok. Give thanks and jol jeju

Today officially marks the first day of  Chuseok . A Traditional Korean holiday that celebrates the many blessings in our lives as well as  Honoring our ancestors who have gone before us. I suppose one could compare this holiday to  Christmas and  thanks giving . 

Yesterday marked my 7months in korea and indeed I have so much to be thankful for.  Its been one amazing rollercoaster ride from the day we touched down at Incheon airport.  So often we get so caught up in life that we forget to just take a moment and think about how blessed we are.  So today i am taking the time to think about all the many blessings in my life. 

As my real family are thousands of kilometres away I shall be spending this very special holiday with my friends who have become my family in Korea.  Although we have all had our moments i am incredibly blessed to have them in my life . Adjusting to Korean life has only been an easy transisition due to the support system that we have created. As for my dear friends back home , today I am saying prayers of thanks to have been blessed with such incredible friends from such an early age. Some of you have known me since birth some of you i only met a few years ago althought it feels like I have known u a lifetime and then there are those of you that i only get to see once every few years but when i do see you its as if we have Never been apart.

Despite the fact that I am on another continent and have been gone for 7 months the constant enouragement  , support and love that you all give me is truly remarkable  and you will never quiet know how much that means to means. My family . My amazing family that loves me unconditionally and that has supported me and guided me through every choice i have made. My parents who have sacrificed so much to give me a life that they never had. My sisters who will always be my best friends despite the fights over clothes and shoes. My aunties , uncles and cousins who are so much more than that to me .They are my second set of parents and my extra set of sibling and lastly my grandmas. Both so different but have both been.invaluable to me in my life.  To my grandpas that are no longer with us today is a day in Korea where we honour you.

I didnt know much about Chuseok and the meaning behind it up until a couple of weeks ago. But today as im writing this post at the ferry port I  see  hundreds of families embracing each other and  giving one another   mountains of gifts as a symbol of  Celebration and love.  I shall be spending  this special holiday on Jeju island  a piece of paradise on earth. An island full of mystical  volcanos ,   caves that need to be explored and beaches that one only imagines in a  hollywood movie. I am now feeling awfully sea sick on this ferry and think its probably time for some fresh sea air . So here's to family and friends and celebrating them Chuseok style !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment