Oct 29, 2013

A Ginger on TV - 7080 music variety show

Last week my co teacher and I were fortunate enough to be part of a live audience for the famous KOrean music variety show , 7080 . This variety show has been running for years and consists of some very golden oldie Korean bands. As it is broadcast on National tv every week the filming of the show for the past however many years has taken place in a studio in Seoul. However , for last weeks show they decided to do something out of the ordinary and decided to film in my beautiful city Gyeongju in our new state of the art Bird park.

A stage lit up with strobe lights of all colours set against the beautiful  bird park as a back drop,  the giant glass house lit up too such an extent that the luminous light could be seen from the opposite side of the road and the amazing multi-coloured  fountain display that I could have watched for hours all added to the atmopshere of what would be an incredible night .

I was seated next to a very sweet middle aged lady who instantly wanted to make friends and who tried her best to string a sentence together in english . When that failed we decided to  resort to communicating in hand gestures and facial expressions the rest of the night . We were brieffed by the film crew as to how the show would be filmed , when we should clap and when we should remain seated . Camera crew everywhere ,4999 koreans and one waygook all waiting in anticpation for the show to start . Lights,  camera , action!

The show consisted of a host who happens to be a very famous but old korean dj who has been spinning the decks for 20 years . Needless to say all the 40 and 50 year korean ladies went cray cray when he came on stage .

Various korean bands performed some a bit "droog" however there were plenty that caught my attention . One such band was a " heavy metal band"

I say " heavy metal" because it wasnt exactly hardcore Marilyn Manson or Korn and thank goodness because I have never been a fan of that gengre. I would say it fell more into the hard rock catergory which im not a huge fan of either ,but after seeing 3 sexy young koreans rock their guitars on stage I am now fully converted to Korean rock music . They were incredible. Guitar skills A+, stage presence A++ , Sexiness A+++. My co could see that I was thoroughly enjoying the performance.

There was a variety of other acts and throughout all of them my new middle aged chingu and I jammed away , hands in air , waving them around like we just dont care . Ive never seen a middled aged women move and groove like this one. She was jamming yo!

I had no idea what the bands were singing about but it didn't matter. The mellodic sounds that radiated from the stage , the mesmorizing lighting effects and dancing  around  with my new chingus  was more than enough to keep me entertained and happy.

The show was aired on Tv on Sunday night on KBS Channel 9. Although I was hoping that  the cameras had managed to get a shot of me on the night I didnt really expect to see myself featured on the aired version on Tv. The saying " be careful what you wish for" CLEARLY holds more value than I thought. There right in my face , a close up shot that could  not have been avoided. Hands waving around ridiculously in the air , jamming with my chingu . FACE PALM MOMENT and that was my 5 minutes of fame on Korean national televison. Camera man totes got my bad angle . Not sexy at all , however as it is a very old  show I assumed and hoped that not many people would have seen it .... Well ...

Monday morning arrives .... Annnnnnd  how wrong I was . 'la teacher my family watch you last night on tv '  'La teacher you famous celebrity '   'la teacher you love dance '  Yip , teachers and students all new about la s little 5 minutes of fame. I suppose one of the things about being  a ginger in Korea is that you attract far more attention than one would in South Africa.

It really was an amazing fun filled night jamming  with the wonderful Korean people under a gyeongju night sky. Music really is a universal language and food for the soul .  ♥

1 comment:

  1. I have nominated you for a blog award :) Liebster blog award ;)

    ReplyDelete