Nov 5, 2013

Second semester madness


So it is 9 30 pm and my school day has only just ended. We are well into second semester now and I seem to be spending more time at school than anywhere else.

From speech contests , to  trying to produce  the  first english school musical,   to  editing articles for the english newspaper club and even being asked to edit a PHd thesis in biochemical engineering ( I kid you not ) its all been a little crazy and leaving school before 9 pm has become a luxury .

A lot of my friends have asked me why I have agreed to take on these extra projects , especially since I do not get paid extra . I suppose I've never been very good at saying no to helping people but more than that the whole reason why we are here is to help our schools embrace the english language. I know that many of my friends have it incredibly easy and their biggest life problem is trying to decide what series they should watch  during desk warming time. I long for a desk warming day where I literally put my head on the desk and desk warm . Ya I get jealous of my friends  at times  but Im also incredibly grateful and happy  that Im at a  school that allows me to get involved with the many different aspects of the school. 

I come home feeling pretty drained after a day at school but I Know that all the hard work   and late nights at school will eventually  pay off.  When I look back one day at my time in korea at the convent at least i ll be able to say that I Was more than just the english convo teacher. Getting involved in the different school clubs such as drama club and newspaper club   has given me one of the greatest gifts . It has allowed me to  form relationships with many of my students that I never thought were possible as many of them are so quiet and shy. So even though the black bags under my eyes are increasing daily and  I walk around like a zombie at school I just keep reminding myself that by the 25th of November all the madness will be over .  I ll then be able to shift my focus to planning  my fantabulous birthday holiday to Vietnam and Cambodia with me bestie and mentally prepare myself for  one crazy summer holiday with family and friends back in South Africa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment